Reconstruction of Route 4 and Route 1
Client: Rhode Island Department of Transportation
This project included the preparation of an Environmental Assessment and final design construction contracts for the Reconstruction of Route 4 and Route 1 in North Kingstown and South Kingstown, Rhode Island. The eleven-mile project extends southerly along Route 4 from Lafayette Road to Route 1 and along Route 1 from Route 4 to the Government Center in South Kingstown.
The existing four-lane facility was constructed approximately fifty years ago and connects Kent County and northern Rhode Island to North Kingstown, South Kingstown, and other parts of southern Rhode Island.
The goal of the project was to provide roadway improvements that improve safety for the motoring public, including the replacement of two existing signals with grade-separated interchanges, closing of existing median crossovers, addition of median guardrail, and improvements to existing intersections.
Completed actions to date:
- Environmental Assessment
- Turnpike and Bridge Authority (TBA) Contract 1 – Resurfacing of Route 1 from Route 4 to Government Center (1998)
- TBA Contract 2 – Route 4 and Route 1 Signals
- TBA Contract 3 – Resurfacing of Route 4 from Lafayette Road to Route 1
- Improvements to Route 1 from Mooresfield Road to Government Center
- Type 2 Emergency Contract 1 – Median Closure of Route 1 and Gilbert Stuart Road/ Shermantown Road Intersection (2004)
- Type 2 Emergency Contract 2 – Median Closures from Star Drive to Westmoreland Farms
- West Allenton Road Intersection and Route 138 Interchange Ramps